Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My FULL Review for MUFE HD Foundation + My Application Routine! + Lots of swatches!



Let me start out by saying that this is the most difficult foundation I've ever tried in terms of finding a color match. Right now I'm a MAC NC40 or medium with yellow undertones. The first time I went to Sephora to get color matched, I had my eyes on #140 (for medium skin with dark yellow undertones), but the associate talked me into trying #150 (for medium skin with dark beige undertones) because she thought the beige complimented me better. After using 150 for a few days.. I liked it a lot.. but then realized in certain lights I looked pink. So, after doing some heavy duty researching and heavy duty swatching at Sephora.. I decided to go with #128. I do find 128 to be a good color match for NC40, but 128 is definitely less yellow than NC40. #128 is said to be for medium skin with beige undertones. So, if you are in the NC37-42 range and you prefer foundations not to have strong yellow tones.. it should be a good match for you. I didn't realize when I purchased it that it has a beige undertone. When I swatched #127, it looked more pink than #128.. which is strange because 127 is for medium skin with yellow undertones. It must of been the lighting in the store or something.. because I would of definitely chose #127. Nevertheless, 128 works perfectly fine.

So let me do the breakdown of shades you can use if you are in the NC30-NC40 range.

123 - For light skin with olive undertones. Suitable for NC30-NC35 range if you have light/med skin and olive skin. (many Mediteranean ethnicites.. yellow undertones that almost appear slightly green)
125 - For light skin with beige or neutral undertones. A perfect NC30 color match.. but can probably work for NC35.
127 - For medium skin with yellow undertones. Suitable for NC35-NC40.
128 - For medium skin with beige or neutral undertones. Suitable for NC37-NC42. One shade darker than 125.
140 - For medium skin with dark yellow undertones. (almost olive) Suitable for NC35-NC37. 
153 - For medium skin with olive undertones. Suitable for NC40-42. (I think moreso 42, because it was a little dark for me)
155 - For medium skin with dark beige undertones. Less Pink than #150, which is also for med skin with dark beige undertones. Suitable for NC40-NC42. (Again, this was too dark for me and I think it's moreso NC42)

I swatched #125 and #128 next to MAC Studio Fix Fluid NC30 and NC40 for comparison. The MAC foundations are obviously more yellow toned. 125 looks slightly darker than NC30 - but it seems to be a very good color match.

Karlasugar very courteously swatched all of the shades.
You can view all shades @ Sephora.com by clicking HERE.

Alright.. now we're past foundation shades. I'm going to go into my application method for this foundation. Let me start out with what my favorite brush for this is. I used the MAC #190 and the MAC #187.. and I wasn't quite satisfied with either. I started to do some research, and I read over and over and over that lots of people are using the Sephora Platinum Air Brush #55.



I absolutely love Sephora's platinum series brushes. They are such good quality and they are SO soft. But, they come with a little bit of a hefty price tag (similar to MAC brushes in price). This one in particular is $35. I actually read on several occasions that the #55 airbrush and MUFE HD were made for eachother! So, I checked out the Sephora website, and concluded that these rumors are true. LOL When I looked at the brush, I scrolled down the page.. and where it lists "Items you may also like.." there was MUFE HD in the number one spot.

haha, see??

Also, MUFE had a value set at one point that came with a small brush with the same type of texture. Basically, a soft-fluffy synthetic powder or blush brush. So, I'm sure that MUFE intended for the best application method using that type of brush.

I find it hard to shovel out money for brushes when there could be similar brushes for a fraction of the cost. I thought about what brush I can use for a dupe, and I thought.. I HAVE to try it with my E.L.F Powder Brush. I've felt the Sephora Brush before and the fibers are very similar in texture to the ELF Studio brushes.



So for the past week, I've been using the ELF Studio Powder brush and it works amazing! (You can use the kabuki or blush brush as well) This is what I do. I take a little moisturizer (I'm using my sample of the MUFE HD primer, which feels like a runny gel moisturizer) and rub it into my face. Then, I take a 2 pumps of the foundation and put it on the back of my hand or a clean palette. Then, I take my finger and dab it into the foundation and put a couple dots on my cheeks, nose, chin, and forehead so my foundation will be distributed evenly on each area of my face. Then I take my brush and blend it into my face using circular motions and then take my brush and dip it in the remaining foundation and apply it where needed. I don't stipple it, I just brush it across my face in buffing motions. The coverage is medium, without looking heavy. It seems to cover all of my redness and blemishes.. but it may be a little too light of coverage for those who like a fuller coverage. This foundation is definitely buildable. The consistency is light and creamy and the finish is radiant and dewy. I found that you need to powder your face or else you'll get very shiny throughout the day. I've been dusting my face with MAC Blot Powder in Medium Dark or MUFE HD powder (which I don't like that much.. but it works well with MUFE HD foundation). This is probably more suitable for dry to normal skin types and may be too dewy for oily skin types. Also, the main thing behind this foundation is that it is HD (high definition).. so it photographs beautifully!
I'd also like to mention I love using Benefit High Beam for my highlighter with this foundation. I just smear a little across my same brush and dab it across the middle of my forehead, the bridge of my nose and the apples of my cheeks. High Beam works SO well with this foundation. This is my absolute favorite foundation to use High Beam with.

The result with this is WONDERFUL. This is a new HG for me!

Update: I switch off using my ELF Studio Duo Fiber Brush & Powder Brush , MAC #131 & Sephora #55. They all work very well. I've been using #125 much more often now, as my skintone has been around the NC35-37 range. #128 seems to make me look too dark. I'd like to purchase #127 as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive