Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Few of my Favorite Drugstore Bronzers! NYC Sunny, Rimmel Sun Dance & NYX Sand!

If you're looking for affordable cosmetics, you all know brands like Wet n Wild & NYC are the way to go. NYC has a small variety of bronzers, including their "Sun to Sun" Duo bronzing powder, Color wheel mosaic powder & the much sought after Sunny bronzer.
NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder #720A Sunny
NYC Smooth Skin Bronzing Face Powder #720A Sunny
Sunny is a great bronzer that is sheer (but buildable), soft & blendable and offers a natural color and finish. The color is a soft bronze with no shimmer, frost or pearl. Because there is no shimmer, it's ideal for contouring & adding warmth to your face without it being very "detectable". I actually prefer this over Benefit Hoola, another popular matte bronzer, because Sunny gives my face more of a bronzed color, whereas Hoola looks a little purple/muddy on my skintone. The best part about the bronzer is, it's only $3. 

(NYC Products can be found at Target & Walmart stores. Check here for your nearest location)

A couple of my other favorite drugstore bronzers are Rimmel Sun Dance (also very affordable) and NYX Sand Blush (not pictured).
Comparison of NYC Sunny & Rimmel Sun Dance
Rimmel is another drugstore brand with very affordable products. It's a little higher in price than Wet n Wild & NYC, but lower in price than brands like Revlon & L'Oreal. Rimmel has a small variety of bronzers, called their "Natural Bronzers". There are four (4) available shades, Sun Light, Sun Dance, Sun Bronze & Sun Glow. I'm not sure if this shade is being discontinued, but it doesn't appear on the website.. although I just recently have seen it in stores. Anyone have any insight about that? That would be a bummer. 

Anyway, of Rimmel's bronzers, Sun Light and Sun Bronze are matte shades and Sun Dance and Sun Glow have slight shimmer. I've only tried Sun Light (which is extremely subtle) and Sun Dance, and I love Sun Dance. It's a sheer, coppery bronze with golden flecks. I wear it often in the summertime on my cheekbones for a healthy glow. It retails for around $4. Walgreens often has sales on Rimmel, otherwise, it's regular price is cheaper at Target or Walmart.

Lastly, NYX has a fantastic variety of blushes and bronzers. NYX Sand, isn't technically one of their bronzers, it is a blush, but the color is a shimmery golden bronze, so I would put it in the bronzer category. It may not be a great all-over bronzer because of the shimmer, but it's a beautiful bronze color for the cheeks. NYX Sand has the most shimmer of the three bronzers mentioned, and those that don't like shimmer, may not like this one. I find Physician's Formula Shimmer Strips to be too shimmery/frosty for my cheeks, but I don't find NYX Sand to be too frosty. I love the rich golden sheen it gives my cheeks. (I didn't photograph it because it's shattered - you can view it in a past haul here) NYX Blushes retail for around $6 at ULTA.

And, swatches!
Swatches from Left to Right: NYC Sunny, Rimmel Sun Dance, NYX Sand
Swatches from Left to Right: NYC Sunny, Rimmel Sun Dance, NYX Sand
Whats your favorite drugstore bronzer?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive